Another common question they ask us is whether AISI 316 stainless steel can be used in pharmaceutical industry for packaging machine parts. Here is the answer of our expert Alessandro.
Packaging machine parts. Which steel is most suitable?
As we know, both AISI 316 and AISI 304 stainless steel are perfectly suitable for pharmaceutical packaging. In fact, they, not by chance, are both among the most used materials by manufacturers of packaging machines created for this sector.
Pharmaceutical industry: why use stainless in these cases?
Stainless steel is, in fact, is extremely hygienic. This peculiarity (essential for the pharmaceutical industry) depends on several characteristics of this material. We can see below:
- Excellent corrosion resistance (the material doesn’t yield to the substances with which it comes into contact)
- Doesn’t need protective coatings (these, in fact, wearing out could give rise to cracks and indentations that generally end up harboring germs and bacteria
- Compact surface without roughs (which ensures waterproofness to external substances)
- High bacterial removability
- Low bacterial reretention.
What precautions to use?
According to our expert, the only attention should be given that’s not to use chlorine-containing sanitizers (eg. bleach). The concentration of these chlorides, in fact, when it exceeds 300 ppm (parts per million), becomes aggressive towards stainless steel.
Visit our website and discover how easy it is for businesses to buy online our stainless steel products.
Fasteners, marine hardware, fittings and fixing systems for photovoltaic installations.
Do you want to read more articles? Click here.